Saturday, February 16, 2008

Solitha - C'mon... unwrap me! (No thanks)

I’m all about the white girl trying to make it in the hip hop world. I’m a huge fan of it actually, but seriously? We grew up in Philadelphia and even we’ll admit we're too white to write something like this. I didn’t even want to unwrap this, contrary to the CD title.

“Bootey” is just a mess. Yes its spelled wrong – intentionally – and funny enough, is named for a comment she saw in a “Date My Mom” episode on MTV. How deep. “Damn Hawt” is also spelled wrong and it’s played wrong too: you can hear it. I'm not even about to quote lyrics for you because that means I just have to listen to the songs again.

Solitha, honey, if you like to sing, first things first, go get some singing lessons. This is just painful. I’m impressed you got this guy Tom to be featured on every one of your tracks. “Like You Need Me” is even out of tune! How did this make the cut? You’re whispering out of tune on this track! And “Personal Horizon” doesn’t even have a tune, it’s just cacophony. And if I was the boy you had a crush on that you sing about in “Crush Boy,” I might have my parents sign a permission slip to transfer me to that other high school.

In addition, the pictures of you do not live up to the image you're trying to portray. We get it, you're the bad-ass white girl dipping into the R&B world. So dress like it! The least you could do is act the part correctly. Look at these mugshots. I'm no stylist but shame on your publicist!

This is embarrassing. I feel badly; it also sounds like your friends are not honest with you. I know you like "the black music" as you say on your website, but you shouldn’t be writing it yourself... or at the very least attempting to. Go do more research, get a producer who isn’t tone deaf and leave the misspellings to Fergie because I really don’t think you want to be known as that other white girl that pissed herself on stage.

No comments: