Saturday, March 29, 2008

Death Cab For Cutie Fails at Possessing Anything

You know what really grinds my gears? Pretentious bands. Ever since their major label signage, Death Cab has gone straight down the tubes. Transatlanticism is probably one of the better albums this decade, and now everything they produce is just garbage. This song is eight minutes long! Like... really? Does a song really need to be this long? And if yes, does it really need to be on the radio? If you're going to write a song that is as long as the entire Vampire Weekend record, the least you could do is make it worthwhile to listen to because you do have my attention for almost 10 minutes.

Most of the time when this song comes on, I don't even realize it has been playing for so long until I think about what I'm listening to. It's the same damn thing over and over again... for eight minutes. It's boring! For starters, the song is called "I Will Possess Your Heart." This is not exactly the pick of choice for a sweet love song. In fact, I'd be a little concerned if I was the girl of choice here. Its my heart, if I wanted you to have it, win it with a song I'd melt to not fall asleep to. Creepy. And forget the fact that there are no lyrics for the first half of the song! I bet during one of your snooze-fests aka concerts you had a jam session then thought afterwards "oh shit we should make that our new single!" Because one thing that everyone wants to hear is your boringass, on-stage instrumental inserts - which you use in place of an actual song thereby conning your fans out of a good song yet still managing to only play an hour - on your new CD, more specifically as the single that will be on every friggin' radio station because you have nothing better to write. You're full time musicians! You can write a freakin' song.

Yeah okay, they made a radio edit, but they didn't edit out the bad parts which would kind of be redundant because then the song would be zero minutes long. DCFC, you don't even possess my attention here and I don't even have ADD! Oooh look a ball........

Ed Note: Here is the song


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps with the instrumental parts they are hoping it will make it to Rock Band 2/DCFC edition.