Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Moby - Last Night (I decided to make money)


I wasn’t necessarily shocked by this album; in fact, it is exactly what I expected. The same playin’ it cool Moby, dabbing into nothing new. After the first couple tracks, it was right on target! However, after a few more tracks I began to notice the pattern. Moby is not writing music anymore to write music: Moby is a sell out! Every song on Last Night can be heard in the foreseeable future for the next BMW 3 series or Samsung’s new professional camera phone or Vidal Sassoon’s Super Extra Mega Hold Hairspray. Funny enough, there is a picture of a television on the album cover. It’s like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife…

If I didn’t look at the track names when the song changed, I wouldn’t be the wiser to realize I’m listening to a new song. Every single track is the same tempo. No joke! You can tap your foot in time to the first track and you won’t miss a beat… all the way to track 14. Talk about musical expression. And each song has a well selected four-word loop from a 60’s Motown Record perfect for whatever product it will be selling. “257.zero” just counts. That’s the lyrics! Some obvious recording (I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the woman who does those incorrect dialing error messages) just spits out random numbers in the background with 2, 5 and 7 being the most repetitive. Perfect for Gillette’s Mach 7 Razor. See? I’m already marketing for Moby!

Though, I guess in this day in music where everyone is stealing something, making money in the industry is as easy as open heart surgery. Moby was probably smart to make a record specifically for commercials, whether these were his intentions or not. Sucks for Moby fans, if there are any.

I don’t hate this record. Last Night is better than his previous batch of records plus side projects which are absolutely nothing to write home about. There are a couple of tracks I do like, but that’s because I’m part of the American public and will like this song the second I see it on TV (which I won’t be surprised if I go home and see it tonight). I might even buy the product its advertising. Who am I kidding? No, I won’t.

No comments: